What are the differences and similarities between acrylic and modacrylic fibers?
- Like acrylic fibers, modacrylic fibers are made from acrylonitriles. However, more polymers of other types are added to make the copolymers of modacrylics.
- Acrylic fibers are stronger than modacrylic fibers, but modacrylics are adequately durable for their end uses.
- Modacrylics have better heat retention and are flame retardant. Acrylic fibers do not have these properties.
- Modacrylic fibers, like acrylic fibers, are dry or wet spun.
Modacrylic Fiber Characteristics
- Easy to dye to bright shades
- Abrasion resistant
- Fire retardant
- Quick drying
- Resistant to acids and alkalies
- Shape retentive
Major Modacrylic Fiber Uses
Apparel: trimsand linings, simulated fur, wigs and hair pieces, children's sleepwear, career apparel, fire retardant workwear, insulation/padding etc.
Fabric: Fleece, knit-pile fabric backings, nonwovens, industrial fabric
Home Furnishings: Awnings, blankets, carpets, fire retardant draperies and curtains, scatter rugs