CMC Introduction CAS: 9004-32-4
Other Names: CMC; Na CMC; e466; Carboxy methylcellulose sodium; Sodium cellulose glycolate; Carmethose; Cellulose, Carboxymethyl Ether, Sodium Salt; Cellulose Gum; Tylose Powder; Tylo Powder; Trag Powder; ect.
CMC is a kind of important cellulose ether and a good water-soluble polyanionic compound obtained from chemically modified natural fibers, soluble in cold water. It has unusual and extremely valuable comprehensive physical and chemical properties such as emulsifiablity, dispersion, solid dispersion, non-perishability, physiological harmlessness, etc., and is a kind of widely-used natural polymer derivatives.
The superior properties of CMC include: thickening, water retention, metabolism inert, film formability, dispersion stability, etc. It can be used as thickeners, water retention agents, binders, lubricants, emulsifiers, assistant deflocculants, tablet substrate, biological substrates and carriers of biological products.
(I) Production Process
(II) Reaction Mechanism
Theoretically, finished CMC can be written as:
The chemical formula of cellulose is expressed by the following molecular formula:
(III) Solubility of CMC
CMC is a kind of natural hydrophilic material and CMC particles dispersed in water may dissolve immediately after swelling.
1. Adding CMC slowly while stirring can accelerate the dissolution;
2. Adding CMC dispersedly while heating can improve the dissolution rate, but the heating temperature can not be too high and the optimum temperature is 50 °C-60 °C;
3. Mixing solids while used with other materials, then the dissolution rate can be improved;
4. Adding an organic solvent incompatible with CMC but compatible with water such as ethanol, glycerin and the like, then the dissolution rate will be fast.
(IV) Packaging and Storage
1. Use PP woven bags lined with plastic bags; or use cowhide bags lined with plastic bags, net weight 26KG per bag.
2. CMC is easy to absorb water, so it should keep the bags away from damages and contact with water during storage, and CMC should be stored in a dry place.
(V) Scope of Application
1. CMC is widely used in the food sector; it plays a role in thickening, stabilizing and taste improving for a variety of milk drinks and condiments and in forming, taste improving, water retention and toughness increase for ice cream, bread, cakes, instant noodles and other foods like fast batter. FH9, PVH9, FM9 and FL9 have good acid stability and its ultra-high products have good thickening effect.
2. CMC has thickening, emulsifying and bonding effects and can be used in coating, carpet glue, incense, tobacco, welding, textiles, batteries, dyeing and other industrial fields as retarders, insurance agents, thickeners, binders, etc.